Trained peer volunteers, working with the oversight of qualified health professionals enhance the wellbeing of industry personnel, preserving careers and enhancing aviation safety. Delegates are equipped to work as a peer supporters upon completion of this course.
The objective of this course is to provide a comprehensive overview of:
- an overview of the most common psychological issues amongst aviation professionals
- the difference between psychology and psychiatry
- basic listening and counselling skills
- how to deal with people who are in crisis (note: national characteristics are very important in this area)
- how to structure a peer support call, specifically how to start and end it
- confidentiality (including signing the Peer Confidentiality Agreement)
boundaries (practical as well as emotional - how to look after yourself)
- how the relationship with the programme Mental Health Professional and Co-ordinator works in practice
- external pathways to help
- the difficulties of offering support over the phone with no visual clues as to behaviour or state of mind
- role playing in order to practice call techniques
- how to conclude a case
The course content is based on international best practices, including the European Pilot Peer Support Initiative. The course will help you build safety excellence performance plans, support your insurance renewals and support your clients and customers.
There are no prerequisites for this course. In the context of a support program, a ‘peer’ is a trained person who shares common professional qualifications and experience, and has encountered similar situations, problems, or conditions with the person seeking assistance from a support program. This may or may not be a person working in the same organization as the person seeking assistance from the support program.
At AviAssist, ICAO standards are our standards. Participants will be issued with an individual and uniquely numbered certificate of completion upon meeting all certification criteria.
Keep an eye on our website for the venue of the next course or book the entire course for your company or organization as an in-house course.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Aviation Medical Examiners
- (Future) Peer supporters
- Senior Managers from airlines who have oversight of support programs
- National Aviation Authorities (NAA’s) and Regulatory Bodies Subject Matter Experts on SPs or Peer Support
- Psychologists and other mental health professionals
Our non-profit status and the support of our sponsors means we can make an extra effort to keep our courses affordable. That way we also support the recovery from the Corona pandemic. As a result we can keep the course fee at only US$ 350 when a full class of 15 is booked at your own location. In case you want this training at your location for less than 15 professionals, contact us for tailored quotation. The course fee includes a uniquely numbered and named certificate of completion (upon meeting all certification requirements) and other extras.
PLEASE NOTE there is a maximum of 15 participants and in case of open courses (not-inhouse) places are assigned on a 'first come, first served' basis.